Monday, December 22, 2008

The annual Christmas argument

I don't know why, but each year my husband and I have an argument around Christmas time. It is started by me. I either pick on him about something until we fight or like this year I just jump right in.
I don't know if it is just everything overwhelms me or what. Or if it is because I never think we will have enough money for everything or that everything won't be "perfect".
This is how this year's argument started. My paycheck arrives in my account at 9:30pm the night before my payday. This year, I decided I must go to Target at 9:30pm to buy my grandson's presents. I asked my husband to go with me and he said he would rather sleep. (Truth of the matter is he works really crazy hours and he had been out at 4:45am that morning and could have been called out at any time). That didn't matter to me.
So since my job is 2 blocks from Target and our house is several miles away, I chose to stay at work when I got off at 5:00pm until my check arrived and then go to Target.
I thought my husband would "come to his senses" and either tell me he would go with me and then I would come home and we could go together that night or he would come to my work. But he didn't. So I sat at work, stewing, getting more angry by the minute. I was going to show him by gosh. He would be so sorry.
But when I came home he was sleeping.
So all night, I got ready for "the fight". I got up at 5:30am that morning, still angry. I woke him up when I left for work at 7:30 (even though I don't have to be there until 8:30). I told him I didn't want a Christmas present from him and further more, if he bought me one, I would take it back. It was on. He had no idea why I was being so irrational and truth of the matter, neither did I. But I kept it up. Left for work by slamming the door.
On my way to work, I called him to fight some more. Then I noticed steam coming from my car. The temp gauge wasn't up, but there was steam (could have been reacting to me LOL). So I told him about the car and he said he was coming. When he got there, we talked and I told him what was going on with me. We both apologized and then went on with the weekend.
He has bought me a gift and I have bought him one and we are both back to being very happy.
I am hoping this next Christmas we can avoid the whole argument. But then again, making up is kind of fun!
Merry Christmas to all of you!

7 comments:

Carolyn NC said...

Stress does strange things to us all. The important thing is that you've resolved it and moved on! Have a merry Christmas!

Emily in NC said...

Sorry to hear you had a fight. Try to relax and not stress out so much.

Meari said...

Glad you made up!

Rene la Frog said...

This is probably the most stressful time of the year for most people and probably the reason for the yearly fight. Just be kind to each other and all will work out for the best.

Kathy said...

I am so glad you got your annual "Christmas argument" over early. Now just enjoy the beauty of the season.
Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Lana said...

hehe! Yeah the making up stuff...lotsa fun! haha! Me and hubby have been going at it as well. I think it is just the stress of the end of the year and the holidays and stuff...hope next year you are able to sidstep the argument!

Cindy F. said...

Hey, we just expect them to read our minds! We read theirs all the time!!...lol....
Glad it wasn't bad and you made up!
He sounds like a good husband:)