Sunday, June 13, 2010

We did it. We have a new baby!

James & I have a new baby. But I must warn you before you go any farther. The outcome of this new little one is not good. She will be sliced and cooked until tender.
Oh no! Tell me it ain't so! But it is.
Because our new baby is a 10 inch zucchini squash! The first real produce from our garden. You remember the garden, don't you? The one James sweated and worked on about a zillion years ago?
A funny thing happened today when I was checking out said garden. We have had a number of blooms on the squash, the cucumbers, the tomatoes and the peppers. We even had a cantelope vine come up from last year that has blooms. And we have had one tomato pop out that has been green for since Memorial Day. But nothing else.
So I am looking at the squash plants for a sign of a yellow squash and I see this green baseball bat thing at the front of the garden. I check it out and it is a HUGE zucchini squash. That solves the question of whether we planted zucchini or yellow squash!
I brought it in and showed James. Photographed it and put it on Facebook. Admired it. James looked for more siblings, but alas there were none.
Here is our beautiful zucchini (before I slice and cook it!)

As a side note, for those of you who have read this blog for awhile now, Hotlips is getting ready to make her first appearance this year. This beautiful reddish orange daylilly is in her 3rd blooming year. There are 3 shoots from the first pot and each have 2 or 3 blooms on them. I will post her debut later when she erupts in all her glory!
Now where is that butcher knife?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Nice Zucchini! I bet it is going to be so delicious. Enjoy!

lenna said...

Donn ~
How are you doing?
Hope it is as delicious as it looks like it will be.
How did your test come out? Will you be able to do a medicine induced nuclear stress test? My brother had that one done. I had to do the other but I will not ever do that again. It almost killed me.
Legs are wonderful, how they work to help you walk but when they are required to move that fast for that long ~~~ forget it!
Let me know how you are.
God Bless ~
Lenna

Carolyn NC said...

It'll be the best tasting zucchini you ever had, I'll bet! It looks yummy!

Meari said...

That's one gorgeous zucchini! Enjoy :)

Kathy said...

Enjoy the fruit, errr, vegetable of your labor. :)

Dani - tkdchick said...

Donna congrats on the first produce from your garden!!!

Karan said...

Congratulations, it's a lovely baby. Kinda makes me think of Shrek though. LOL ;0)