Saturday, March 27, 2010

A cube finish, an early Mother's Day Gift and of course a drawing!

I decided to finish off "Chicks Rule" as a cube. This is my first attempt at a cube finish and I am somewhat happy with it. I need to get some round wooden beads to attach to the bottom to make it stand straight. But I do like it. Here is a pic:

This week I also received a gift in the mail from my daughter. I love brooches (to say the least). And I love brooches that are eclectic.
I do not wear any other types of jewelry except my wedding ring unless it is a special occasion and then I might wear a pair of earrings.
But I have wanted a Mother's brooch with the birthstone colors for my daughter and grandchildren. We have searched everywhere and the only ones we could find were very expensive.
My daughter checked on Etsy and there was a woman making Mother's necklaces out of silver wire and colored beads the color of the birthstones. Jen (my DD) contacted the seller and asked if she could make a brooch. The answer was yes and so she ordered one. Since my DD and first grandson are both July birthdays, I have two red beads and then a teal/aqua color one for my second grandson born in March.
I have to tell you I love this pin. It is first of all handmade which I really appreciate and second, you won't find this pin on anyone else. It is just mine.
The picture was difficult to take, but here it is:

I just love it!
Now for the moment you all have been waiting for! The winner of the Lizzie Kate limited edition Spring Fab Fob with scissors!
The winner is...... MEARI! You can thank my oldest grandson for picking your name!
If you will e-mail me your mailing addy I will get it in the mail to you next week!
Congratulations!

17 comments:

Cindy's Stitching said...

Love the cube.. This is an adorable design. very pretty brooch

Cindy's Stitching said...

Love the cube.. This is an adorable design. very pretty brooch

Unknown said...

The cube turned out wonderful! Congrats on your first cube finish! Love the brooch..what a unique and lovely gift!

Carolyn said...

Love your brooch and your cube is adorable! Great job, gf! Congrats to your contest winner, also! :)

Rene la Frog said...

Very cute finish...you did a great job on the cube. As as side note, when I want to add feet to my cubes I use Pearl headed pins. They come in some really pretty colors and you can put them in easily to even out the bottom.

GoldenAngelsWorks said...

The cube is so cute. Great job.
The brooch is so pretty.
Congrats Meari!

Kay said...

I love the Easter cube, very cute! Your brooch is stunning, very beautiful!

Katrien said...

The cube looks great.

Carolyn NC said...

Great job on the cube and love the brooch! Congrats to Meari!

Meari said...

Congrats on finishing your cube. Just a thought here... You can use regular glass beads as "feet" too. Just use a straight pin to hold them on. That's what I did, anyway.

The pic of your new broach didn't come up - bummer. Maybe you can email me a pic?

And WOW, thank you for the drawing! And thank your DGS for picking my name. :)

Sharon said...

That cube is just too darn cute for words! Love it, love it, love it! Ditto for the brooch - so pretty!

Anonymous said...

Nice job on Chicks Rule and how very sweet of your daughter to find you such a unique gift. She did a lovely job on her tea towel.

Vicky L said...

The cube came out cute. You did a great job for the first time. The brooch is very pretty and such an unique piece of jewelery.

Kathy said...

Love the cube finish! It looks perfect for this piece.

Congrats to Meari.

And your pin is just beautiful. Years and years ago I had a ring made for my Mom. Not easy when you had to include nine stones. :) Mom loved her ring and I know you will treasure your brooch.

Anonymous said...

The cube turned out really well, and what a lovely brooch. I love brooches, too (though I do wear other jewellery).

Sharon said...

Very cute cube! The brooch is lovely!

Karan said...

Congratulations to Meari.
Love the cube finish. Gorgeous brooch too - a lovely idea. :0)