Wednesday, February 16, 2011

ABC's of Aging Artfully

"To know how to grow old is the master work of wisdom, and one of the most difficult chapters in the great art of living." Amiel
Turning 50 has had a great effect on my life. I believe my grandson's comment "that you are halfway to 100" might have had something to do with it. Or it may be the fact that I realize my life is more than half over.
Now granted, the years left in my life are most likely going to be the best years in my life, but still facts are facts. And so is the fact that I spent 18 years growing up and going to school. And another 12 years until I was really an "adult". I think at 30 I realized what being an adult really meant.
I have started stitching again. And I think it is appropriate while I am in this reflective time in my life that I am stitching on Lizzie Kate's "The ABC's of Aging Artfully". I think it pretty much sums up where I am in my life. Joyous, free, silly, and blessed.
As with the "Time for God" piece by Lizzie Kate I stitched a while back, each verse seems to have a special meaning for me.
I will be documenting my stitching on this blog and reflecting on what I am learning about life and myself as I stitch.
I have almost finished stitching the letter "A" which starts "Amaze Yourself". Now I amaze myself all the time. I amaze myself that I am this far in my career with no real college education. I amaze myself that I raised a child on my own. I amaze myself that after 44 years I met and married the man of my dreams. I amaze myself that I have picked up my stitching again!
But what really amazes me is the fact that my sister at the age of 40 something (or 20 plus, plus something)is going back to school. All while raising a 15 year old, having a relationship and working. She has completed her associate's degree with a 4.0 (amazing) and is working on her bachelor's degree. Amazing. Something I wouldn't dream of doing and frankly don't want to do. But she does it. She is doing it. She is showing a whole group of young people that she still has it.
Here is a pic of what I have done so far. It is on 28 count Silkweaver Lugana in "Days Gone By".

So go out there and amaze yourself. I know I will!

6 comments:

Kay said...

That is amazing about your sister, congrats to her for working so hard. I like how you put it on aging. Sometimes it does take us a while to fully understand what it means to be an adult and "grow up". Lord knows I did not really start growing up until my 30's. I look forward to seeing your progress on the Lizzie Kate.

Meari said...

Kudos to your sister for going back to school. As you know, I'm in school too and it's not an easy thing the older you get. I am thrilled that at 43 I'm soooo close to finishing!

As for growing up... I really feel like I missed out on being a 'kid' and young adult due to so much responsibility placed on me by my parents when I was younger. So, I've always felt 'grown up'. On the flip side, I tend to try to have more fun now. :)

I really enjoyed reading your reflections. :) I'm looking forward to reading more!

Unknown said...

way to go, I am working on getting my act together and trying to get on a schedule and do a little of this and a little of that.

Felicity said...

Congratulations on turning 50. It didn't hurt a bit, did it? LOL.

Carolyn NC said...

And yes, you are amazing! Love the new start. :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on stitching again and on your goal of aging artfully - I think you are already well ahead of the game on the artful part. Age is just a number; own it, yes, but don't let it overwhelm you. Happy birthday!