Sunday, October 26, 2008

Relay For Life

Last night was our annual American Cancer Society's Relay For Life.  If you have never been to one of these I strongly suggest you go even if you don't stay out all night or have a team.  It is a major fundraiser for ACS and honors cancer patients.  They start the walk with a victory lap that has all these cancer survivors wearing purple t-shirts.  Everyone lines the track and cheers them on.  Then the walk begins.  All the teams have walkers walking the track.  There are many, many other events going on at the same time.  There were 100 teams and probably 2000 people or more there.
All around the track on both sides are these white, decorated bags that have the name of a cancer survivor or someone who has passed away from cancer.  They are purchased by family and friend and have a candle inside.  At 9:00 they turn off the lights at the track and all these candles are lit.  Family and friends sit by the lumianaria of the person they are honoring or in memory of.  They have a little ceremony remembering those we have lost and those who are still fighting.  It touches my soul and gives me strength to continue another year in my job as a lifesaver (yes that is how I truly feel about my job).
This year I donated my Peace, Love and a Cure for the silent auction.  At 8:00 it had a bid of $50 on it.  I don't know if that was the final bid or what it actually went for.  The money will go for cancer research.  I will update you next week when I find out the actual bid.

1 comment:

Shari said...

the place where my husband works does relay for life each year. I have never been nor seen one take place. Sounds like a neat day!